Elizziebooks

I freaking love books! I'm currently reading a bunch of YA novels and I keep telling myself that I'll branch out into Adult lit.

Harken (Harken, #1)

Harken (Harken, #1) - Kaleb Nation [Originally posted on elizziebooks.com]There was SO much hype surrounding this book that I just really felt like shying away from this book and really felt very critical of it while reading. As soon as I put all of those things aside, reading this book was a BLAST!Now, if you’re looking for a quirky middle grade book about a wizard, this isn’t your book. If you’re looking for a Sci-Fi/Conspiracy/Supernatural story about a kid who once thought he just had an uncanny gift of reading people’s eyes, this just might be your book.Seriously, this book caught me by the back of my neck and flung me into the sky without even a second thought. I was thrown into Arleta, into Michael’s world. Kaleb has a way of describing the surroundings of a somewhat fictional place to make you feel like you’re following Michael around his hometown, his safe haven. Okay, I know Arleta is a real town, but it’s described very well.Another thing I love about the writing in this book is the pacing. It’s so carefully planned. It’s fairly quick throughout, but slows down a bit for conversations about planning their next move. There were times when I was reading and thought “WHOA WAIT WHAT JUST HAPPENED” because I may have accidentally skimmed over something very important.The characters are amazing and well fleshed out. I love love loved Alli and even when she wasn’t in a scene, I was hoping and begging that she’d stay alive. Michael is a great protagonist. He’s a kid who doesn’t necessarily have everything figured out, so when he gets thrust into a hero-like position, he’s still fumbling. He’s still human.Overall, I enjoyed this book. The action, pacing, the great one-liners and so on. I will definitely be following Michael and his friends on more adventures!http://www.elizziebooks.com/2013/01/06/harken-by-kaleb-nation-review/

The Book Thief