Elizziebooks

I freaking love books! I'm currently reading a bunch of YA novels and I keep telling myself that I'll branch out into Adult lit.

The Queen of Kentucky

The Queen of Kentucky - 3/5 stars for sure. It was one of those books that was a checklist of a YA novel. You had the love triangle (and then some), the friends she got along with every once in a while, and the list goes on. There was a heart wrenching twist here and there (bring the tissues), but it wasn't much different from Mean Girls with a bit of an ode to the south.I did enjoy this book for what it is. It's about a girl who thinks she has to change herself to become popular and to get the "right" boy. Ultimately so she can always have cool friends and so that she'll soon has her first kiss. Matthew 16:26 had it right, "What good will it be for a man if he gains the whole world, yet forfeits his soul? Or what can a man give in exchange for his soul?"This isn't a verse quoted in QoK, but she definitely finds out what this means over the course of the novel. And not in a pleasant way. She finds that people you want to be friends with can also be BIG JERKS. GAH. I wanted to slap the people she wanted to be friends with and then I wanted to slap ERICKA for leaving behind her two best friends (not counting Bandit). I liked that her character was willing to give people more chances than they were worth. There were times when it paid off (and she gained at least one great friend) but then there were times in which she needed to give another chance in order to learn a lesson. What she lacked in original storytelling, she made up for in entertaining characters.

The Book Thief