Elizziebooks

I freaking love books! I'm currently reading a bunch of YA novels and I keep telling myself that I'll branch out into Adult lit.

Pretty Crooked

Pretty Crooked - 2.5 stars. Originally reviewed here--I liked the idea of this book. I liked the idea that she was stealing from the rich kids to help the less fortunate "Busted" girls. I liked Tre's character. I liked the Gossip Girl feel to it. What I didn't like was the lack of backstory on the main character. I felt like her mysterious past is in order to set up for the next book(s) in the series. Especially with her mom's storyline. It was too "you have to wait to find out" for my liking. The writing in this book is really awkward. I felt like things were happening and THEN she goes into explaining how she got there. There isn't a lot of descriptive text, it's just, "Oh look, I stole this and no one caught me!" There were multiple times when she could have been caught, should have been caught. And I had a problem with the fact that she felt no remorse for stealing, but she was only afraid to get caught. I get that the whole idea is Robin Hood and revenge against the bullies of this school (Kellie and Nikki, mainly). I liked that it addressed bullying. It's a thing that happens, and it may be a thing that happens to you or you may even be a bully. I feel like I've been on both sides of the fence. I was raised in a manner that said that it's okay to throw harsh words at people and that they should just grow a stronger back bone. It hurts being on either side. Once you see how it affects others, it really does hurt. It makes me think about how I say what I say. If I say something cruel, I know I should apologize to that person. But I know that not everyone can be like me or will ever act as I do. The best thing you can do is to be kind to people. Be kind and hope that they see that that is better than being cruel. Okay, one last thing before I go. Within the first 20 pages, Willa has this little rant thing in which she talks about how girls are much more competitive than boys and that boys are just so much more laid back than girls. It had to do with who is popular in the high school food chain, but like, why? Why put this in a book. I've never found it to be true. Guys can have just as much drama, just as much competition, and can be just as argumentative as girls. I'm not saying every girl is like this, and not every boy is like this. Why do we even let this kind of sexism of sorts into our assumptions of gender? I know that I've thought this very thought before (girls being catty, boys being more laid back), but I hung out with all sorts of people in high school. I just knew to stay away from the ones (both boys and girls) who wished to display their drama for the whole cafeteria to see. OKAY And she got BoyFeels correct. Just, yes.

The Book Thief